Level 3, Defens Haus, Cnr Champion Pde & Hunter St, Port Moresby, PNG
Maritime Emergency (675) 305 4631

Reporting of Pollution Incidents - Papua New Guinea National Maritime Safety Authority

Any form of ship sourced pollutions must be reported immediately to NMSA or any other authorities that can then convey the report to NMSA.

A Pollution Incident to be reported are the following:

  • Any quantity of oil regardless of its significance. If and when oil can be seen without any source then it could be probably an illegal discharge. Oil includes waste oil, fuel oil, sludge, lube oil and other additives.
  • Any discharge from a ship involving washings of chemical or dry cargoes.
  • Any untreated raw sewage from ships.
  • Any garbage disposed of in the sea. This includes any discarded fishing nets, plastics, paper, bottles, metal, ashes and other general wastes.

If you witness a vessel polluting, you can report the incident to NMSA or the local government agency, port authority or transport authority. Take the following information as much as possible about the incident:

  • When and where the incident occurred.
  • The name of the vessel and its particulars.
  • Type and extent of pollution.
  • Obtain information on other witnesses or nearby vessels.
  • Any other information you think may be important.

If possible you are encouraged to take photographs or video images of the pollution, vessel or persons involved.

In reporting a pollution incident, a Pollution Incident Form called POLREP must be filled if possible. Otherwise contact us on Telephone: +675 321 2969/305 4631/305 4660/+675 7017 4061 or Radio: MF/HF 4125 mhz/6215mhz/8291/12290 or VHF Marine All Ch, DSC – Ch16/67/70 or Email: PNGMRCC@nmsa.gov.pg.

However, it must be noted that ships are permitted to dispose some types of wastes at sea in accordance with both the international conventions and PNG’s regulations. But there are strict requirements relating to the type of waste/s and the distance from land where the disposal may take place or is allowed. In any case, all pollution sightings should still be reported and NMSA will determine whether the discharge/disposal is illegal or not.

What's New?

About NMSA